When you start a small business online, there are several steps in a series to ensure your success. I have seen thousands of persons start and grow thriving businesses by doing the following steps.
- Discover the necessity and fill it.
- Write copy that sells.
- Design and develop easy to use the website.
- Use search engines to enhance the traffic to your site.
- Build a reputation as an expert.
- Follow up with your users and subscribe via email.
- Rise your revenue through upsells and backend sales.
Anyone from beginner to online entrepreneur can benefit from this learning process of starting an online business.
Steps to start an online business without money
1. Start a business that meets your needs.
Most folks who are just starting their business make the mistake of seeking a product first, then the market.
To raise your possibilities of success, start with a market. The trick is to find a group of people looking for a solution to a dilemma but not endeavoring for many results. The Internet facilitates this type of market research.
- Find out what questions people are querying on online forums and what obstacles they are trying to solve.
- Do keyword research. Choose the keywords that a lot of people are looking for, but don’t compete with other sites.
- Visit your potential competitors by visiting their sites. Note that what they are doing to meet the demand. Then you can use what you’ve learned and built a product for the existing market.
2. Write copy that sells
There is a proven formula for sales copy. It involves the process of selling from the time visitors arrive at the moment of purchase.
- Create engagement with a compelling headline.
- Explain the dilemma that your product solves.
- Build your reputation as a problem solver.
- Include testimonials of your consumer who have used your product.
- Talk about the product and its benefits to the customer.
- Make an offer.
- Make an Influential guarantee.
- Ask for sales.
Throughout your copy, you need to concentrate on how your product or service has the unique ability to solve people’s problems. Or how your product or service can improve their lives. Think like your customers and ask yourself, “What’s in it beneficial for me?”
3. Design and build your website.
Once you have your market and product and complete your sales, the next step is to design your own small business website. You can build your own website for free using WordPress. So if you don’t know how to build a website using WordPress, you should be prepared to spend time learning how to use it. As the saying goes, there is nothing unattainable in this world. Take your time and watch YouTube videos. Learn how to develop your own website with WordPress. Because you don’t have to spend your hard-earned money paying a website developer or designer.
Remember that you have less than five seconds to get someone’s attention. So, your website should have a simple and unique design. Otherwise, they’ll go, you can’t see them again. Here are some fundamental tips to keep in mind:
- Select one or two simple fonts on a white background.
- Make your navigation clear and easy. It must be the same on every page.
- Use only graphics, audio, or video if they are included in your message.
- Add offers to sign up so you can submit email addresses.
- Make shopping easy – no more than two clicks from a prospect to checkout.
- Your website is the online storefront of your business, so make it user-friendly.
4. Use search engines to entice targeted customers to your site.
Don’t start using paid ads just yet. There are many ways to promote your service or digital product for free. Don’t think about using paid ads now because you don’t have any money. As an entrepreneur, you only use what you currently have. Now focus on free but effective marketing strategies.
If you have a digital product that you want to sell, you can find platforms that don’t charge a monthly fee. With the Internet, you can determine what you need. If you have online courses, you can host and sell them on the platform as Teachable. The Fitch app is also an ace platform for your e-book.
However, the easiest way to drive traffic to a new site is to place pay per click ads. There are two benefits to over waiting for the traffic to come to you organically. First, PPC ads appear immediately on search pages, and second, PPC ads allow you to test various keywords, as well as titles, prices, and sales prospects. It will enable you to get instant traffic and help to discover your best sale generating keywords. You can then scatter keywords on your site in your copy and code, which helps you rank higher in organic search results.
5. Build a reputation as an expert.
Most of the folks use the Internet to find out information. Provide this information to other sites for free, and you will see more traffic and more prominent search engine rankings. The secret is to add a link to your website with the information every time.
- Provide free, proficient content. Create articles, videos, or other content that users find valuable. Share this article through online article directories or social networking sites.
- Add a “Send to a friend” link to valued content on your website.
- Become an active specialist in industry forums and social media sites where your target market is located.
- You will reach a new audience. But even better, every site that publishes your content will link to you. Search engines like the related site link and will reward you by giving a top-ranking position.
6. Use the power of email marketing to convert visitors into buyers.
When you create a subscription list, you are making a precious asset to your online business. Your customers and buyers have given you consent to email them. It means:
- You’re giving them something that they have demanded for.
- You have an enduring relationship with them.
- The response is 100% measurable.
- Email marketing is more economical. It is more efficient than print, television, or radio because it is extremely targeted.
Anyone who visits your site and joins your list is a handsome lead. And there is no reliable tool than email to follow these leads.
7. Increase your revenue through upsells and backend sales.
One of the most imperative internet marketing tactics is to promote every user’s value for a lifetime. At least 36% of the people who buy from you will buy from you again. Closing the first sale is the most challenging part so far, not to mention the most costly. So use Backend sell and upsell to bring them back:
- Offer products that meet your initial purchase.
- Send electronic loyalty coupons that they can use on their next visit.
- Offer related products on your “Thanks” page after the ordering.
- Reward your clients for their trustworthiness, and they will become even more loyal.
Last but not least is business planning
Take care of your business plan to open a business without money!
This is the basics of entrepreneurial ambition. A business plan is a roadmap and a compass for a businessman who wants to build his business, leave it without input. His writing should be a reflection of your project and the result of maturity. This document is the largest part of your financing application files, as it is your argument for banks and potential business angels.
A business plan must:
- Summarize the identification of this company and the purpose of the manufacturing process you are developing.
- Present a market study;
- Explain your development strategy, and of course, your goals and financial needs.
- The better your business plan, the better your chances of getting a loan or raising funds.
Don’t hesitate to participate in programs and conferences related to your industry. That way, you’ll be able to build a stable network by interacting with professionals in the same business or complementary activities. Are you a professional makeup artist? Work with a barber to whom you will send your clients. The logic is the same for all professions: unity is power!
The internet is moving so fast that one year is almost five years online in the real world. But the rules for starting and growing a successful online business haven’t changed. If you’re starting a small business online, stick to these steps. If you’ve been online for a while, take a swift peek and see if there’s a step you skip or never intend to work in the first place. You can’t go wrong with the ABCs.
The startup of an online business is like cooking food. If you follow the instructions of a proven recipe, the dish will be delightful. It doesn’t matter who is cooking the meal. To start an online business, you need to follow the above steps. This system works if you follow the proven steps; otherwise, it will fail.